Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Contests

So just a shout out to contests! They are great for you, even if you don't win! Why? heres why.
1. they make you write for a deadline 2. you have to follow their specific rules 3. you get practice submitting your work 4. you get to practice editing 5. you get to practice rewriting 6. you get to practice the anticipation of waiting to see if your work made the cut 7. you also get to practice grammar 8. if it is the winner or a runner up you usually get it published somewhere, good for building your resume 9. it gets you to actually finish a project, instead of being stuck in countless edits. and 10. depending on the contest it might make you broaden your writing skills, as in try something that is different or not necessarily your style.
For example, I just entered a contest that was for a short story. I am not good at that, but I want to improve my writing skills so, I wrote my best short story and entered. It was way different then how I usually have done things, but thats okay. I already feel like I have grown, even if I don't win!
There are loads and loads of writing contests, so find one and enter!

1 comment:

  1. Cassie the Writer what a great look at contests. I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete