Monday, January 17, 2011

Talking with yourself

Do you ever find yourself having a conversation with a made up character or a real person, with yourself. Like you are practicing what to say or how it should be said. I do all the time. If it is for a real person it is called practicing. With a character it is called figuring. The other day I found myself in the shower explaining to myself the life history of one of my characters that will one day be in a book. The next thing I knew I found myself with notebook in hand writing all of her background story down, because in dialogue form I had figured it out. Which I could not have done if I had sat down with said notebook and said okay lets figure out her history. It was better the other way, more spontaneous and in a way more fun. But the down side is sometimes we don't have to time to wait for those funny conversations, where we can figure out the life history of a character. But it makes it so fun when we can!

1 comment:

  1. I have totally done that!!! Haha. Ill be telling out loud to myself how my book came to be like I'm an author and being interviewed. Haha. It always sounds so good out loud then I start writing and it's all wrong. So funny. Maybe from now on you can be my imaginary interviewer ;) ill just picture you. Haha.

    ReplyDelete